Saturday, July 16, 2005

Sequels That Sucked Part I

The Ring Two

I'm not a big fan of either The Ring (Hollywood Version) or The Ring 2 (Japanese Version). I feel that both films tried to capitalized on the sensation that Ringu created and failed big time! For devoted Ringu fans, The Ring 2 was a disaster sequel when it tried to become scientific about the demon/monster that is "Sadako" and The Ring was just a mere bad copycat of the original. I'm not sure if Ringu director Hideo Nakata agreed to direct the Hollywood version's second part to salvage his work or to put more of his creative genuis that he wasn't able to do in his second Ring. Nevertheless, he failed on both accounts. Not only that The Ring Two wasn't scary at all, it was boring as hell! I guess, the novelty of "Sadako" just really ended on Ringu.

What I hated most about this film is that make use of the whole Dark Water idea. He may be its same creator but can he be a little considerate to the upcoming Hollywood version? It may have put the whole film's success in jeopardy because of that unless there'd be changes in the adaptation.

I hope that there wouldn't be any Ring 0: Birthday adaptation! Please let "Samara" rest!

No comments: