Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Re: The Movie in My Mind

This message has been posted in my MadonnaManiax Friendster by one of its members. Instead of replying directly to him, I thought of putting it here instead. Besides, I don't wanna create any misunderstanding, or worst a fight over this. However, if he accidentally finds this blog and read this, fine. At least, I'll be able to put my message across.

Read on...

-start-
Date: Friday, June 10, 2005 10:30:00 PM
Subject: the movie in my mind
Message:

1. recently, there has been a dramatic improvement in the movie industry: the elimination of the song-and-dance portion. go to the archives of movies from the 80's and 90's, be it comedy, drama or action, and you'll surely find a song-and-dance number, with complete props. practically all regal films movies have it. the scene is usually a character actor in a daydream, then, voila! the next scene is a fantasy with all the colors and exaggerated costumes. and as the actor and his princess are about to kiss, he is back to reality kissing someone else's foot. what a way to make the audience laugh.

2. filipino action films have only one plot. actually, you see one, you've seen them all. first, the actor comes from a poor but happy family. the a rich-maltreating-the-poor theme comes in. family members of the actor are killed or enslaved. then the actor gets his revenge by killing all the goons one by one. then, before he terminates the grand goon, he says a talinghaga, say, "ginawa mo akong parang patabaing babuy, ikaw rin pala ang kakatay sa akin!" filipions are poetic you know, but that doesn't exist in real life drama. just pull the trigger!

3. here are typical drama scenes in pinoy movies:(a) expect a lot of scenes featuring two girls screaming and shouting at each other, (b) an actress goes crying which lasts for five minutes, (c) two guys fighting over a girl, and the girl butts in to no effect, (d) if the child is adopted, she will ask her foster parents "bakit hindi ninyo sinabi sa akin?" and leaves as if she was not raised and loved by the latter.

4. at least, we should be thankful that massacre movies with religious subtitles featuring only one actress turned tv host are history.

5. filipino horror movies are actually comedy films pretending to be horror movies. watch how they do the visual effects. you'll laugh 'til your eyes pop out.

6. if you can't think of another original idea to make a good script, copy an american film and make it filipinized. for example, titanic becomes tatay ni nik, something to that effect.

7. when you advertise your upcoming movie on local tv, say this line: "para po ito sa buong pamilya. marami kayong mapupulot na magagandang aral." where's the plastic bag? i feel nauseous.

-end-

First of all, I'd like to ask, "What is the last Filipino movie that you've seen?" I'd actually ask that to all Filipinos who feel soooo embarrased about our own movies. Have you actually seen one? Or you just happened to switch on your channel to a Filipino movie and saw snippets of said film? You didn't like what you saw and switch channel again to your favorite Hollywood series or movie. Because of that one incident, you suddenly turned into an expert. You could actually say the bad and the worst about Philippine movies, huh? Is that it? Or was the last film you saw a Lino Brocka masterpiece? Or was this message just forwarded to you and you thought it was funny so you spread it around, as well?

I'm sick and tired of these "snobs" who kept on saying how bad the industry is when they really haven't been supporting it in the first place! When a Tagalog movie title already sounds despicable to them! When, till now, watching Pinoy movies or soap is sooo "baduy" and "kadiri" to them!

Direk Ellen and I have touched on this topic a little during our last conversation. She said that it's all a matter of social conditioning and the Americanized education that we have. We really can't blame the audience for that way of thinking. I'd say though that we could change. Yes, it was imposed on us so many years ago that we are inferior but that cannot be said anymore these days! Besides, tayo pa bang Filipino ang magbabagsak sa kapwa natin Filipino?

Filipino movie have been progressing these days. In fact, there are lots of memorable films that were released during the last five years or so. Were you able to watch them? Ang madalas ngang reklamo ng mga producers at direktor, "Hihingi kayo ng matinong pelikula pero pinapanood n'yo ba pag meron?" Pero teka nga, ano ba ang ibig sabihin ng "matino"? Not all movie that came out of Hollywood are note-worthy! Even if they're big-budgetted! At saka sila rin naman maraming latak! Hindi lang umaabot sa atin! (But some do, sad to say.)

I just hope that this colonial mentality of ours would slowly fade away. OO, may depekto ang iba sa mga pelikula natin. Pero kanino ba ang wala?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are my fave movies in the last five years: Got to believe, narinig mo na ba ang l8st, now that I have you.

Obvious bang hopeless romantic ako? haha! I've read good reviews about jeff jeturian but it's a shame that I havent seen any of his films. maybe I can get a vcd of minsan pa. And oh, my folks have watched "magnifico" countless times already and have told me taht it's such a magnificent film. But, *sigh*, I havent had the chance to catch it on cinema 1.

I know that there are still a lot of good indie directors out there. But since they are not taht popular and are not supported by big production outfits, a lot of ppl are not aware of them n their works...

I love ur site. i'll link you up k? I cant seem to "tag" you. I love movies too. and movie posters! :)

sineasta said...

Ei, Tina! Thank's for visiting! Sure link me up! I'd appreaciate that. Btw, how did you learn about my blog?

Yes, Jeffrey Jeturian is one of the finest directors we have these days. Galing ng pagkagawa ng mga films niya! I haven't seen "Minsan Pa" yet, though. Sayang kc 'un. Natabunan ng Jomari-Ara issue.

"Magnifico" makes me cry everytime I see it. As in! Till now, it feels surreal to me that we have such amazing film here!

Anonymous said...

hahaha i love your post and i couldnt agree with you more!

i also agree with you about magnifico. my family has a bunch of random filipino movies lying around the house and i came across magnifico w/o any prior knowledge about the movie, thinking that it would be some cheesy filipino movie. but boy, was i wrong! i cried myself to sleep that night.