Sunday, May 08, 2005

Love, So Divine (Korea 2004)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I'd like to start this review by saying how much I adore Kwon Sang-woo! He is such an ultimate Korean cutie, next to Rain and Won Bin, of course! Hehehe.

If Sang-woo is the ultimate charmer, I'm afraid that I couldn't say such about the movie. During the first few scenes with Kyushik (Kwon) and Sanghee (Ha Ji-Won), one would feel that it seemed like a "
My Sassy Girl" wannabe except that the guy would soon to become a priest. However, it wasn't. The similarities just goes with the girl being quite aggressive and the guy being the timid one, that's it. Of course, them both being romantic comedies is a given already. As the movie progresses, it actually veers away with the mentioned film and takes it own course. My oh my! If "Pretty Woman" became the ultimate romantic comedy in Hollywood, could it be that "My Sassy Girl" is Korea's? Why not? They're both equally great films! Btw, what's with Koreans and aggressive (meaning: tough) girls, anyway? Is that some sort of a fetish among their men?

Major flaw of this film goes to the lack of romantic chemistry between Sang-woo and Ji-Won. There is no "kilig-factor" seeing them together. Add to that is the faulty script which fails to capture the growing romance between the two characters. They just fell in love with each other without the audience ever knowing why, how, and when it happened.

Even if I'm not a fan of Cholo (Stairway to Heaven) ooops I mean Sang-woo, I still would say that he was the saving grace of this movie. Watch out for the sing and dance scene! It was worth all the trouble of seeing this film!

Lastly, did I mentioned how cute Sang-woo looked in here?! *wink wink*

2 comments:

Kel Fabie said...

Ji Won Ha is still my second favorite Korean actress, though...

sineasta said...

Oh, I see. It's the first time I've watched her kc. Anyway, I really think that there wasn't much chemistry between the two leads. I don't know though whether it was because of the script or the two just really don't connect that well... :-)