Thursday, February 10, 2005

The Phantom of the Opera




Without mention of "The Sound of Music", the ultimate movies of the same genre (i.e. musical) for me are "Moulin Rouge" and "Chicago", so far. Nothing tops the two in terms of grandeur, spectacle, and effects they have on the viewers! So that would mean that the film adaptation of "The Phantom of the Opera," as far as my taste is concern, is nothing but ordinary.

Sure, the production was great but there's nothing spectacular about it. It has been done in several movies. The music was awesome yet as some parts repeat over and over in the course of the film, they became boring and cheesy. Gerard Butler's voice wasn't too strong and as hypnotic as it should be (the way Ewan McGregor sounded in "Moulin Rouge"). I felt that it wasn't enough for one like Christine Deiyi to get swayed by it. His voice was hoarse and somehow thin to get the high notes properly. Hats off, though, to Emmy Rossum who was outstanding as Christine!

Overall, "The Phantom of the Opera" is an entertaining film. It could stand on its own but it isn't so memorable.

I wish, though, that the film adaptation of "Miss Saigon" would be soon. I wonder what it would be like...

(Note: I've been listening to the Special Edition 2-CD Soundtrack these days and I'm getting the hang of it. Perhaps, I need to see the movie again. --March 24, 3:35 AM)

No comments: